The hot weather is fully upon us and sales are in full-swing both in stores and online. Eblasts are popping into our inboxes daily with the most heavenly and irresistible sales.
Don’t know about you, but we’re having too much summer fun to spend time at the mall. So it’s late-night online buys for us, as we sit in front of the fan and plot our next patio or beach outing.
But buying from your computer is not the same as visiting a store. When you select shoes electronically, in particular, there’s a few things you should know to get the best deal, the best fit and the best shoe.
So why shop online? Here’s some of the perks we adore:
• You get presents in the mail! (Even if it’s a “from me, to me” scenario. Still feels like a gift.)
• No shopping malls necessary. No parking lots, no yucky foodcourt lunch. Spend your time soaking up the summer sun!
• Great online offers that often just aren’t available in stores.
• The best selection. Especially when it’s the end of season like right now, stores can be sold out of your size and style. (But they always seem to have it at the most faraway, awful-to-reach location, and they’ll hold it for you until the next day. Too bad the party you want to go to with those great shoes is the next day.)
Now that I’ve twisted your arm…or you’re simply on the hunt for something quick for next weekend’s wedding, here’s what to consider when you shop online:
• Check the return policy. It’s helpful when there is a return policy within a minimum of seven days from receipt of your purchase. But whatever it is, keep that in mind when your gift arrives and make up your mind fast. (And don’t have it shipped the day before your vacation, or you’ll miss that precious window.)
• Opt for styles and brands that you know well. When you’re a regular customer of one brand, you just know it’s going to fit and feel good.
• Click on all the views. Zoom in and out to really survey the product you’re going to buy so there’s no surprises.
• Think ahead to next year. If you’re getting a hot pair of sandals in July or August, consider how these babies will look come your next winter beach vacation, or next summer. Opt for classics that you’ll be able to get some wear out of beyond the next six weeks: boat shoes for guys, flip flops or wedges for gals. You can’t go wrong.
• Use size charts. As unglamorous as it may sound, you really gotta do it — especially when you’re testing out a new brand. The EUR 37 isn’t the same as the US 7 like many have a tendency to believe!
Not sure what you want? Here’s some of our favourite summer styles that are probably on sale now!
• Like to play safe colour wise? You can’t go wrong with neutrals and nudes, whether casual flats pairs with leggings or skinny jeans like our lovely Duchess of Cambridge.
• Take your neutrals into dressy territory with a heel option like Sarah Jessica Parker. This shot was from spring ’08 and still, nude is hot.
Perhaps the best thing about online shopping that we forgot to mention it it’s fun! You’re in total control of your next look. Enjoy the process, take a risk here and there and make sure you have the footwear you need for your next outing of summer fun.